Aspiring artists and designers,
Listed below are two opportunities available to you locally that will allow you to have your portfolio evaluated by various art and design schools.
What are the benefits of these opportunities?
- For seniors, it allows you to get feedback from professionals and colleges on what you need to do to enhance your portfolio prior to submitting it to the arts college of your choice. (The event on 10/24 is best since it will allow you time to add to your portfolio prior to the submission of your college applications).
- For juniors, as you begin to build your portfolio further, you have the benefit of receiving feedback on the pieces that you have in your current portfolio, and it provides you with feedback (and time) to add to your portfolio for you senior year when you begin to apply to colleges. It also will help you with creating a portfolio for summer programs at arts colleges that require it. (The National Portfolio Day in January 17, 2016 will allow you to talk to various art and design colleges and share your portfolio with them for feedback).
There are two opportunities—one in the immediate future and nearby (10/24–see link below) and one in January at National Portfolio Day. Please click on the links below for more information!
El Segundo Museum of Art Teen Portfolio Day
National Portfolio Day
Also, don’t forget about the NACAC Performing and Visual Arts College Fair at UCLA on October 24th!
NACAC Performing and Visual Arts College Fair
Happy Friday, Designers! Below is your Week 10 update.
A few reminders/notes:
- There are no classes in session on Friday 10/23 due to a staff development day.
- If you have any questions about basketball tryouts, contact our Athletic Director, Thomas Curry at email@example.com.
- Earthquake drill had to be rescheduled for this coming Tuesday, 10/20.
Have a wonderful weekend!
VM College Fair 2015 9-29Our partner and neighbor-Vistamar High School has once again invited our students to attend their annual Multicultural College Fair. This college fair will include several colleges and allows students the opportunity to meet with and receive information from colleges across the U.S. This provides the opportunity for both students and parents to meet college representatives, receive college materials and ask questions about specific colleges and admissions requirements and processes.
Remember…….It’s never too early to start exploring various colleges so that when it comes time to apply, you’ll have a better idea of what kind of college(s) you’re interested in!
Plan to attend and bring along a few friends!
Attached is a flyer that provides specific information on colleges that will be at the college fair.
Lunch sign-ups begin next week! If you have any questions, please see Ms. Martin.
University of California, Los Angeles
Ackerman Union, Grand Ballroom
308 Westwood Plaza
Los Angeles, CA 90024
Saturday, October 24, 2015
1:00 p.m.- 3:30 p.m.
For more info, follow the link: http://www.nacacnet.org/college-fairs/PVA-College-Fairs/Pages/Los-Angeles.aspx
The Counselor monthly Coffee and Chat will be held on Tuesday, October 13 from 8-9am. This is the opportunity to ‘drop in’, have a cup of coffee, meet your counselors and ask any questions that you may have about colleges, testing, summer programs, courses,community service,etc.
Stop by and say hello!
The Counseling team
Karen Grace-Baker aka Ms. KGB
Mount Holyoke (all women’s college) visited DaVinci Design on Friday, October 9th during the lunch hour. This liberal arts college for women gave our junior and senior students a ‘snapshot’ view of what it is like to attend a women’s college. Lauren Cook, Associate Dean of Admissions, presented admissions, campus life and merit and financial aid statistics as well as some interesting factoids about the success of women’s college graduates.
For example, did you know that:
-Although only 2% of college graduates are from women’s college, over 20% of women in Congress and 33% of Fortune 1000 company Boards are women’s college graduates?
-Women’s college graduates are almost twice as likely to complete a graduate degree in medicine, law or business than public university graduates?
-Women’s college students are very successful in traditionally male-dominated (Science, Technology, Engineering and Math) fields
-Some very well known women in business and politics are graduates of women’s colleges including:
- Madeleine Albright(Wellesley)—First female U.S. secretary of state
- Hillary Clinton(Wellesley)—Former U.S. secretary of state
- Marian Wright Edelman(Smith)—Founder and president of the Children’s Defense Fund
- Suzan-Lori Parks(Mount Holyoke)—Pulitzer Prize-winning playwright
Mount Holyoke is a member of the Five Colleges Consortium (Smith, Mount Holyoke, Amherst, UMass Amherst and Hampshire), so students can take classes at any of these five colleges and have the opportunity to participate in the college life. There is a bus that transports students from one campus to the other. Students applying to Mount Holyoke are not required to submit SAT or ACT scores in order to meet admissions requirements. Mount Holyoke meets 100% demonstrated financial need (Smith and Amherst colleges meet 100% need as well). DaVinci Design currently has three students enrolled at Smith and one at Mount Holyoke.
Please contact your College Counselor for more information regarding this college.
Hello, Designers! Thank you to all of the families who participated in SLCs this week to make them such a success.
If you were not able to make it to SLCs, or just did not have a chance to take the Fall Parent Survey, please take a few minutes to fill it out using the link below. We value your feedback!
Below is the Week 9 Update: PSAT for 10th and 11th graders, California Shake Out Drill, sports games, tryouts and sign-ups are all happening this week!
Have a great weekend.
SBI DescriptionJust a reminder that applications for the Riordan SBI program are due on Monday, October 12th and decisions will be rendered by October 19. There is only room for a maximum of 25 students ( 9th and 10th graders from DaVinci Design and DaVinci Communications) to attend this FREE program on the DaVinci Design campus. The program includes workshops on the college application, career exploration exercises, and guest speakers from a variety of industries as well as a variety of other topics. The meetings will be held on the following dates from 9am-1pm:
November 14, 2015
January 23, 2016
March 19, 2016
Please see Ms. KGB if you need additional information!