Medical Field Internship Opportunities
1. Red Cross Summer Internship (application due by April 12th)
The American Red Cross Los Angeles Region has a competitive annual internship program for students currently enrolled in an educational program. All students will receive a multi-faceted training in various aspects of Red Cross service delivery and operations, participate in direct service delivery in the field, as well as select a shadowing track to gain a deeper understanding of a function, and support the team with their day-to-day activities. Last year, we had 28 interns log over 4,000 hours of volunteer hours and participated in various projects to deliver on the mission of the American Red Cross. Are you ready to make a difference?
Red Cross Summer Internship 2019 Timeline
February 4 – Summer Intern Applications released
March – April – Supervisors receive applications and schedule interviews
April 12 – Internship applications due
May 20 – Interns’ last day to submit contract
June 17 – First Day of Internship
July 17 – Mid-Internship Check In
August 16 – Last Day of Internship
2. Cedars Sinai Internship (application due by April 5th)
CIRM SUMMER PROGRAM TO ACCELERATE REGENERATIVE MEDICINE KNOWLEDGE (SPARK)
WHAT? A paid 7.5-week long intensive research experience for high school students (juniors only–internship takes place between junior and senior year). Our mission within the Outreach Program is to promote stem cell research awareness and contribute to science education. Our vision is that students will learn about the use of stem cells for translational studies in Regenerative Medicine with the hopes of accelerating delivery of stem cellbased therapies to patients with unmet needs.
DATES: Mandatory Orientation: June 10-11, 2019 Program: June 17-August 2, 2019 Conference: August 11-12, 2019
DEADLINE TO APPLY: Electronic submissions due on April 5 th , 2019 by 3pm PST. Please send application to firstname.lastname@example.org. We cannot be responsible for applications sent to the wrong email address.
HOURS: Approximately 9 am – 4:00 pm, Monday-Friday, however the exact hours will be determined by your mentor.
PROGRAM SUMMARY: RMI scientists will mentor interns one-on-one as they participate in a defined research program in translational stem cell research. We will integrate into the program educational courses, tours and guest speakers. After the program, the students will present their research at a CIRM SPARK conference at Caltech in Los Angeles, and to an audience of medical and scientific researchers at Cedars-Sinai at the Research Intern Day.
At the end of the internship, students will have:
• Achieved a basic understanding of stem cell research.
• Presented work in front of your peers, mentors, and/or family members.
• Produced a scientific poster and created a weekly blog highlighting their summer research group project and experience.
• Participated in seminars, career panels, networking events & other enrichment activities.
• The opportunity of listing this program on college applications as job experience and/or an extracurricular activity.
• Applicants must be a California Resident & U.S. Citizen/Permanent Resident and must currently be enrolled/attending a California high school or a California-state accredited high school credit program.
• Applicants must be currently in their junior year in high school (rising senior summer 2019)
• Applicants must have successfully completed at least one year each of high school level chemistry and biology
• Applicants must be able to commit to the entire duration of the program (7.5 weeks, ~27.7 hours total/ week)
• Applicants must be able to provide their own transportation to and from the program.