Greetings New Students and Families,
Once again, welcome to Da Vinci Design! It was a pleasure sharing a bit of what DVD is all about during our webinar on Wednesday night. If you would like to review any of the information Ms. Acuña and I shared, or if you were not able to watch the webinar live, see the links below for a recording of the webinar and to see the slides that we shared:
After the webinar, there was a Q&A session where we answered clarifying questions. Please check out the DVD FAQs for New Families document here for additional information covered.
Looking forward to meeting you all in the new school year!
WHAT: Join RIOS for a mentoring session with members of RIOS, a multi-disciplinary design firm located in Los Angeles. These sessions provide a “day-in -the-life” experience to individuals interested in careers offered at RIOS. RIOS is a multi-disciplinary firm located in Los Angeles. Da Vinci students will be paired with a mentor whom they will “shadow” throughout the session. Students will be able to shadow a mentor in any of the following positions:
-Industrial + Product Designer
WHEN: Thursday, August 5th 2021, 1-4pm via Zoom
WHO: This program is available to Da Vinci Design students who are entering 10th, 11th, or 12th grade.
WHEN: The Shadow Day you’re applying for will be held on Thursday, August 5th, 2021 from 1-4pm via Zoom.
WHERE: This program will be held virtually via Zoom until further notice. (Eventually, we’ll transition to in-person meetings)
HOW TO APPLY: Complete this application by Monday, July 18th at 5pm!
Shadow Day Schedule: Please note this may change as we switch over to in-person sessions (1PM-4PM)
- 1-1:15pm Group Intro: Overall introduction to RIOS
- 1:15-2pm Demonstration: Students will meet individually or in small groups with a member of the RIOS team. The RIOS member will give a description of the types of projects they are working on, the software/tools that they use to perform their jobs, and what a typical day looks like for them.
- 2-3pm Design Exercise: based on the student’s interests, the RIOS mentor will provide the student with an exercise to complete. This will provide the student with a hands on experience related to their career of interest. At the end of the exercise, the RIOS member will provide one-on-one feedback and support on their skills.
- 3-4pm Mentoring Session: The RIOS member will get to know the student. This session will provide a platform for the student to discuss their career goals, concerns and ask any questions they may have.
Did you know the Red Cross is experiencing a severe blood shortage? According to the Red Cross, more people are beginning to undergo elective surgeries, organ transplants, and emergency surgeries, all which require donated blood.
Please consider making an appointment to donate blood on July 8th to sustain the needs of our region.
What: UCLA Blood Drive @ Da Vinci Schools
When: Thursday, July 8th from 9 am to 2 pm
Where: 201 N. Douglas Street, El Segundo, CA 90245 – Black Box Theater
To ensure appropriate social distancing, we encourage donors to make an appointment in the following ways:
– Go on-line at www.ucedonor.com click on Blood Drives and enter DV in the Account Code box
– Scan the QR code above
– Call us at (310) 825-0888 x2
– or email UCLA at email@example.com
Don’t forget your ID & we’ll see you there!
Greetings New & Returning DVD Families!
For your convenience, here is a version of the DVD 2021-2022 School Calendar via Google Doc. Families can refer to this calendar for key dates and events; please note that the school calendar is subject to revision as needed.
For our New DVD Families: Welcome! A message will be sent via email soon that includes information for families of incoming DVD students, including dates and times for a welcome webinar and for in-person orientation meetings. See the DVD FAQs for New Families document here for this information.
Looking forward to another great year together!
The following is a list of suggestions for things to do during the summer break to be productive:
- Watch educational videos on YouTube
- Watch documentaries
- Volunteer (find a cause you care about)
- Learn a new language
- Read (see how many books you can read over the summer)
- Take a dual enrollment college course
- Build or fix something (these are skills that will come in handy in the future)
- Visit museums
- Start a business (babysitting, dog-walking, pet-sitting, tutoring)
- Pick up a new hobby (gardening, dancing, playing an instrument, photography)
- Participate in summer sports
- Learn about a country or place you don’t know much about
- Improve your vocabulary (vocabulary.com, enhancemyvocabulary.com)
- Improve your writing skills
- Talk to as many adults as possible about career options
- Create a personal website
- Learn sign language
- Organize a fundraiser
- Organize a book club
- Write a book of poetry
- Create a blog – edit/post often
- Learn CPR
- Cook dinner for your family (each time learn a new dish – write your own recipes – create a cookbook)
- Clean parks and maintain hiking trails
- Plant trees
- Assist with summer reading programs
- Work with children at a summer camp
And most importantly, reconnect with friends and family. This year was tough for everyone so make sure to relax and regroup.
HAVE A WONDERFUL SUMMER!
DVD Counseling Team
Dear Rising Seniors & Parents – (this refers to current Juniors)
A Cal Grant is money for college you don’t have to pay back. Cal Grants can be used at any University of California, California State University or California Community College, as well as qualifying independent (private) and career colleges or technical schools in California.
To qualify, you must apply for the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) or California Dream Act Application (CADAA) by March 2, 2022 and meet the eligibility and financial requirements as well as any minimum GPA requirements. There are three kinds of Cal Grants (A, B and C) but you don’t have to figure out which one to apply for. Your eligibility will be based on your FAFSA or CADAA responses, your verified high school Cal Grant GPA, the type of California colleges you list on your FAFSA and whether you’re a recent high school graduate. To learn more about the qualifications, please visit www.calgrants.org.
Da Vinci Design is required to submit your student’s verified GPA. By law you have the option to “opt out” of this process if you do not want Da Vinci Design to submit your student’s verified GPA. If you choose to “opt out”, this means your student will not be eligible to receive a Cal Grant. In order to “opt-out”, please complete the attached form and return to your Counselor no later than August 28, 2021.
If you do not return the “opt-out” form, Da Vinci Design will submit your student’s verified GPA to the California Student Aid Commission (CSAC) to determine your student’s Cal Grant eligibility. Click links below to obtain the opt out form in either English or Spanish.
If you have any questions, please feel free to contact your student’s counselor.
Da Vinci Design
GPA OPT OUT form
The AT&T Summer Learning Academy is a free online externship learning program open to all high school and college students. Registration is available now and we get started on July 12th! The program has both short informative self-paced classes and exciting live events featuring well-known dynamic speakers focusing on four key areas: Personal Development, Business, Technology and insights on life at AT&T direct from our leadership and experts in their field. When you complete the program, you will be sent a unique digital badge from Credly. Speakers include Sal Khan (Khan Academy), Troy Aikman (NFL Hall of Famer), Omar Johnson (Opus United), and Dr. Ellen Ochoa (Nasa Astronaut).
Register HERE by June 22nd!
· Open to All High School and College Students
· Dates: July 12 – August 6, 80 hours to complete for certificate
· Live Events: July 12 – 23
· Format: Virtual
· Content: Web-based training, activities and guest speakers
· Summer Credit: When you finish the course and receive a Credly certificate: Send Natasha an email with the certification and she can ensure you receive summer school internship credit.
WHAT IS THE COURSE CURRICULUM FOR AT&T SUMMER LEARNING ACADEMY?
There is a set group of courses that cover a variety of areas. An overview of the curriculum can be found here. The full syllabus of curriculum will be sent to all registered students in July. Students will receive a certificate of completion from Credly that is not specific to a particular discipline.
WILL THERE BE LIVE SESSIONS?
We have ~30 live sessions scheduled between July 12 – July 23, but attending events live is not mandatory. If you attend live, you will be able to interact with the presenters and ask questions. Live participants will have the chance to win various prizes and giveaways.
HOW LONG DO STUDENTS HAVE TO COMPLETE THE 80 HOURS WORTH OF WORK?
The program begins on July 12, with live events running from July 12 through July 23. Students will have until August 6th to complete the coursework required to receive the certificate of completion from Credly.
QUESTIONS? Contact Natasha Morrison at firstname.lastname@example.org
Greetings DVD Community!
The last week of the 2020-2021 school has arrived! Congratulations on completing the first week of POLs! The last day of school is Wednesday, June 9th. Please refer to the schedule posted here. PowerSchool access will be turned off for the next few days as teachers update grades.
We are so excited to celebrate the Class of 2021 and their graduation this coming week on Tuesday, June 8th at 4:00 pm. Seniors, please check your emails for information regarding the check-out process and rehearsal happening on Monday, June 7th at 9:30 am.
We are so excited to officially launch Da Vinci Instagram and Facebook pages to complement our existing Twitter feed so we can get even more connected with our community, a.k.a. YOU!!
Follow us today on any of our official Da Vinci Schools social media accounts to stay connected, engaged and informed.
Follow us: @davincischools_org
Like our Page: @dvschools
Follow us: @dvschools
We also just launched a new Wiseburn-Da Vinci Athletics blog to communicate directly with our student-athletes, families, and community members! Here you will find everything you need from updates on tryouts, game days, highlights and so much more! Sign up for the latest athletics updates here. Go Wolves!!
Visit our Athletics blog at athletics.davincischools.org.
We are excited to engage with you!