Hello DVD Students and Families!
El Camino is offering high school students dual-enrollment classes to take this winter and spring! The Winter 2021 registration appointments begin Thursday, November 19, 2020, for dual enrolled students. The winter term is 5 weeks, January 4–February 4, 2021. (Note: dual enrolled students are limited to 1 course during the winter term).
This is a great opportunity for students to strengthen their skills, explore college readiness, or want to get a head start on their UC or CSU general education requirements. El Camino is offering online help and events for students who are interested in dual-enrollment with no registration necessary.
If you need any help enrolling, El Camino dual-enrollment staff are offering drop-in assistance every Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday from 4:00-5:00PM via Zoom.
Here are links to help assist students in browsing for classes and assistance when applying:
Hello DVD Families!
West Los Angeles College is offering FREE 5-week college classes for high school students! The Winter 2021 semester begins January 4, 2020. These classes are for students who want to strengthen their skills in English, Math, and Science, explore college and career readiness or get a head start on their UC or CSU general education requirements.
Check out the WLAC HS Winter 2021 Flyer for a list of over 50 sections available this Winter term! Below is just a small snapshot of classes students can enroll in.
Students must have an active LACCD ID# and a processed K-12 Form in order to enroll. West LA College is hosting info sessions, application, and enrollment workshops to help students through this process!
- Info Sessions – Mondays 3:30-4:30pm. Students can sign up here.
- Application Workshops/Digital K-12 Form Support – Tuesdays 3:30-5:00pm. Students can sign-up here.
- Enrollment Workshops – Thursdays 3:30-4:30pm. Students can sign-up here.
For more information and a full list of available classes please visit this link.
Please join us in extending a congratulations to the grade level finalists and winners of our DVD T-Shirt Design Contest!
These four designs will be printed via the print shop at Mychal’s Learning Place, and sold online for $12. Pre-sale coming soon!
If you’d like to see all of the semi-finalists designs, please watch the announcement video shared in Advisory today from our Design pathways teachers: T-Shirt Contest Winners Announcement Video 2020.
Finally: thank you to Mychal’s Learning Place for partnering with us on this contest! Mychal’s Learning Place is a local organization that provides support, training and opportunities to youth and young adults with developmental disabilities in order to build their independence and to help them pursue their goals and dreams. In addition to providing after-school programs and day classes, Mychal’s also has a student operated mobile coffee truck and a print shop. Proceeds from t-shirt sales will go directly to Mychal’s Learning Place. Learn more here.
Hi DVD Parents and Students,
Here is a scholarship opportunity for students!
The Prudential Spirit of Community Awards honors middle level and high school students for making meaningful contributions to their communities through volunteer service.Top honorees earn cash awards and an invitation to the programs national recognition events. Qualifying honorees also receive President’s Volunteer Service Awards.
Now through November 10, 2020, students in grades 5-12 are invited to apply for 2021 Prudential Spirit of Community Awards if they have volunteered within the past year.
Applications can be certified by a middle or high school principal or head of a Girl Scout council, county 4-H organization, American Red Cross chapter, YMCA, or Points of Light Global Network member.
- November 10, 2020 – Application deadline
- November 20, 2020 – Certification deadline
- February 9, 2021: Announcement of state-level judging results
- May 2021: National recognition events
For eligibility and other important information about the program click here!
To apply for the scholarship click here!
Hello Da Vinci Parents and Students,
I’m writing this to share an exciting opportunity that helps students and their parents gain access to virtual HSF College Camp programs, taking place via Zoom. This is a FREE, bilingual, webinar for students in 6th – 12th grade, and their families, where you will receive valuable information about how to prepare, plan, and pay for a college education!
HSF College Camp is tailored to address the needs of ALL middle and high school students, and their parents. Families can choose to receive information in either English or Spanish. People of all ethnicities and backgrounds are encouraged to attend.
The curriculum will be presented by subject-matter experts and will cover topics including:
- Preparing for and applying to college
- Researching financial aid and scholarship opportunities
- Understanding the real cost of a college education
- Maximizing the college experience
- Preparing for a career after college
This event is FREE and open to the public; however, space is limited. There will be three identical sessions:
- Saturday, October 24, 2020, 9:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m. PT
- Saturday, November 7, 2020, 11:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m. CT
- Saturday, November 21, 2020, 12:00 p.m. – 3:00 p.m. ET
For further event details and to register to attend, please visit: bit.ly/hsfcollegecamp.
Registration will close once capacity has been reached.
Dear Da Vinci Families,
We hope some of you had the opportunity to participate in the Great ShakeOut drill earlier this week! We have additional resources to share with you to prepare your home in the event of an earthquake. Be sure to follow these 7 steps to be even more prepared when the next earthquake strikes!
Visit EarthquakeCountry.org/sevensteps to learn more about what you can do to be prepared.
- Step 1: Secure your space by identifying hazards and securing moveable items.
- Step 2: Plan to be safe by creating a disaster plan and deciding how you will communicate in an emergency.
- Step 3: Organize disaster supplies in convenient locations.
- Step 4: Minimize financial hardship by organizing important documents, strengthening your property, and considering insurance.
- Step 5: Drop, Cover and Hold On when the earth shakes.
- Step 6: Improve safety after earthquakes by evacuating in necessary, helping the injured, and preventing further injuries or damage.
- Step 7: Reconnect and Restore daily life by reconnecting with others, repairing damage, and rebuilding community.
Estimadas familias de Da Vinci,
Esperamos que algunos de ustedes hayan tenido la oportunidad de participar en el simulacro Great ShakeOut a principios de esta semana. Tenemos recursos adicionales para compartir con usted para preparar su hogar en caso de un terremoto. ¡Asegúrese de seguir estos 7 pasos para estar aún más preparado cuando ocurra el próximo terremoto!
Visite EarthquakeCountry.org/sevensteps para obtener más información sobre lo que puede hacer para estar preparado.
- Paso 1: Asegure su espacio identificando peligros y asegurando elementos móviles.
- Paso 2: Planee estar seguro creando un plan de desastre y decidiendo cómo se comunicará en caso de emergencia.
- Paso 3: Organice los suministros para desastres en lugares convenientes.
- Paso 4: Minimice las dificultades financieras organizando documentos importantes, fortaleciendo su propiedad y considerando un seguro.
- Paso 5: Agáchese, cúbrase y agárrese cuando la tierra tiemble.
- Paso 6: Mejore la seguridad después de los terremotos evacuando si es necesario, ayudando a los heridos y previniendo más lesiones o daños.
- Paso 7: Reconecte y restaure la vida diaria reconectándose con otros, reparando daños y reconstruyendo la comunidad.
Hello DVD Families!
Latinx Heritage Month is coming to a close and the National Museum of African-American History and Culture is celebrating the Latinx community!
The NMAAHC is celebrating the Latinx community by providing access to their Latinx collection online. This collection includes objects from The Chicano Movement, objects related to genres of Latin music such as calypso, latin jazz, salsa, and hip-hop.
Please join the National Museum of African American History and Culture (NMAAHC) in exploring these intertwined histories, traditions, and identities.
The link to the collection can be found here.
Dear Da Vinci Families,
Join your fellow Da Vincians in the world’s largest earthquake drill! Da Vinci Schools will conduct our own ShakeOut drill on Tuesday, October 20 @ 10:20 am.
Promptly at 10:20 am, students are to STOP, drop, cover and hold. Our focus this year is on earthquake preparedness at home.
Hello DVD Students and Parents,
The GRAMMY Museum is proud to offer a variety of public programming so you can enjoy musicians and industry professionals in an intimate environment for discussion and performance.
Also, the GRAMMY Museum’s education programs are going virtual! Join us as we take some of our most popular workshops online Tuesdays and Thursdays at 11AM PST. All workshops are free and open to classes and individuals with advanced sign-up! Classes such as Music Production 101, Songwriting 101, Music of the Civil Rights Movement, and Hip-Hop Culture:Past, Present, and Future will be offered to students for free! To sign up click here.
For more information and events feel free to take a look at The Grammy Museum website here.
Hello DVD Students and Parents,
I’m excited to inform you that West Los Angeles College is still offering FREE online college classes for high school students in any grade level! New classes begin Monday, October 26.
These classes are for students who want to get a head start on their UC or CSU general education requirements. They’re also offering College Readiness Classes for students interested in exploring careers, choosing a major, or creating an education plan before they transition out of high school.
Students can begin enrolling TODAY! However, they must have an active LACCD ID# and a processed K-12 Form first. West LA College are hosting application and enrollment workshops to help students through this process!
- Application Workshops – Mon Oct 12 & Mon Oct 19, 3:30pm – 4:30pm. Students can sign-up here.
- Enrollment Workshops – Thu Oct 15 & Thu Oct 22, 3:30pm – 4:30pm. Students can sign-up here.
Attached to this post are the K-12 Form that the student must complete before enrolling, a step-by-step process on how to enroll, and a flyer with recommended classes students can take.
Flyer & Recommended Classes
Step by Step Process – Concurrent Enrollment