Greetings DVD Families!
We had our first CD of the year today! Thank you to the DVD Leadership team for hosting this CD. Here is the schedule for the week, along with reminders about upcoming events.
- 11/11: Veterans’ Day – NO SCHOOL
- 11/20: PD Day – NO SCHOOL
- 11/23-11/27: Thanksgiving Break
Have a safe and restful weekend!
Hello DVD Parents and Students!
This fall California State University, Dominguez Hills is offering admissions presentations daily to students and parents that will explain the opportunities that CSUDH has to offer. These presentations will cover:
- CSUDH Update Admissions Requirements
- CSUDH Best Practices When Applying (aka How to Get Admitted)
- Financial Aid & Scholarships
- CSUDH Student Support Services, Clubs, & Organizations
These meetings take place at 3:00PM daily. To view the available dates and to register for the presentations click here.
Cal State Apply Application Workshops: CSUDH Office of Outreach & School Relations will also be hosting virtual Cal State Apply Application workshops. Whether you have a few questions or you need step by step guidance CSUDH will be going through the application process. The upcoming dates are November 2, 9, 16.
To register click here.
Hello Designers……it’s Halloween Gram time!
The student headsets with microphones have finally arrived and are ready to be distributed to our students as soon as possible! In addition to several distribution events that each site has planned over the next few weeks where they will continue to distribute various instructional materials including the headsets, distribution of the headsets has been scheduled for several days this week for all DVS, DVC, DVD, Connect, Remote, Connect High and DVX students to come by on any of the following scheduled days and times. No RSVP is necessary for these days. Additional dates and times, including a possible weekend day, will be scheduled in the weeks to come in an effort to continue to provide opportunities for pickup for anyone who is unable to come by this week to get the headsets. This week, the headsets will be distributed on the following dates and times in the parking lot of the school campus located at 201 N. Douglas Street, El Segundo CA, 90045:
- Wednesday, October 28th from 8:30 AM – 3:30 PM
- Thursday, October 29th from 8:30 AM – 3:30 PM
- Friday, October 30th from 8:30 AM – 3:30 PM
To best expedite this process, please bring a letter-sized paper with the following information clearly written on it: Student(s)’ school(s), Student(s)’ grade level, and Student(s)’ last and first name. The student or parent/guardian will be asked to display that paper to the person distributing the headsets to facilitate the distribution. The headsets will be distributed under the large black canopy which will be set-up in Lane 1 of the parking lot, the lane closest to the gym.
Please feel free to contact the school’s front office if you have any questions about this. Thank you!
Please join us in extending a congratulations to the grade level finalists and winners of our DVD T-Shirt Design Contest!
These four designs will be printed via the print shop at Mychal’s Learning Place, and sold online for $12. Pre-sale coming soon!
If you’d like to see all of the semi-finalists designs, please watch the announcement video shared in Advisory today from our Design pathways teachers: T-Shirt Contest Winners Announcement Video 2020.
Finally: thank you to Mychal’s Learning Place for partnering with us on this contest! Mychal’s Learning Place is a local organization that provides support, training and opportunities to youth and young adults with developmental disabilities in order to build their independence and to help them pursue their goals and dreams. In addition to providing after-school programs and day classes, Mychal’s also has a student operated mobile coffee truck and a print shop. Proceeds from t-shirt sales will go directly to Mychal’s Learning Place. Learn more here.
Dear DVD Families of the Class of 2021,
We are excited to share with you the details of an important way to commemorate this important year: Senior Portraits! We have partnered with Stacee Lianna Photography to provide you the opportunity to get professional cap-and-gown photos to share with family and friends.
For DVD, the photos will be taken on Saturday, December 5th and Sunday, December 6th from 10 am – 3:30 pm at the Da Vinci Campus (201 N. Douglas St.). Please sign up here for an appointment.
The appointment to take the photos is free of charge, and families will have several options to purchase digital or printed images You are able to pay for the digital images at the time of the appointment, and you are able to purchase printed packages when the photos are available online. For information about pricing, please read this flyer. All senior portraits will be available for purchase at this website: Da Vinci Schools – StaceeLianna
We want each student to receive their cap and gown prior to the appointment. As such, we have scheduled a cap-and-gown pickup for Monday, November 30th. We will be providing you with more details as the date approaches, but please mark your calendars now.
To summarize, here are the important dates and next steps:
Cap-and-Gown Pickup is Monday, November 30th (times TBD)
Senior Portraits are Saturday, December 5th and Sunday, December 6th; make an appointment at DVD Senior Portrait Sign-Up
If you have questions regarding the portraits and the packages, please contact Stacee at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Hello DVD Community!
Our DVD Student Leadership is excited to share details about our Spirit Week! Please see the flyer below for more information. The week will culminate with our first CD of the year, on Friday at 1:45 pm. Here is the schedule for next week: DVD Week 11
Parents, if you have not yet taken our survey (it takes less than 10 minutes!), we would really appreciate it if you would take the time to help us by completing it now! https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/parent_survey_Fall2020
Have a restful weekend!
Hi DVD Parents and Students,
Here is a scholarship opportunity for students!
The Prudential Spirit of Community Awards honors middle level and high school students for making meaningful contributions to their communities through volunteer service.Top honorees earn cash awards and an invitation to the programs national recognition events. Qualifying honorees also receive President’s Volunteer Service Awards.
Now through November 10, 2020, students in grades 5-12 are invited to apply for 2021 Prudential Spirit of Community Awards if they have volunteered within the past year.
Applications can be certified by a middle or high school principal or head of a Girl Scout council, county 4-H organization, American Red Cross chapter, YMCA, or Points of Light Global Network member.
- November 10, 2020 – Application deadline
- November 20, 2020 – Certification deadline
- February 9, 2021: Announcement of state-level judging results
- May 2021: National recognition events
For eligibility and other important information about the program click here!
To apply for the scholarship click here!
Hello Da Vinci Parents and Students,
I’m writing this to share an exciting opportunity that helps students and their parents gain access to virtual HSF College Camp programs, taking place via Zoom. This is a FREE, bilingual, webinar for students in 6th – 12th grade, and their families, where you will receive valuable information about how to prepare, plan, and pay for a college education!
HSF College Camp is tailored to address the needs of ALL middle and high school students, and their parents. Families can choose to receive information in either English or Spanish. People of all ethnicities and backgrounds are encouraged to attend.
The curriculum will be presented by subject-matter experts and will cover topics including:
- Preparing for and applying to college
- Researching financial aid and scholarship opportunities
- Understanding the real cost of a college education
- Maximizing the college experience
- Preparing for a career after college
This event is FREE and open to the public; however, space is limited. There will be three identical sessions:
- Saturday, October 24, 2020, 9:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m. PT
- Saturday, November 7, 2020, 11:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m. CT
- Saturday, November 21, 2020, 12:00 p.m. – 3:00 p.m. ET
For further event details and to register to attend, please visit: bit.ly/hsfcollegecamp.
Registration will close once capacity has been reached.
Dear Da Vinci Families,
We hope some of you had the opportunity to participate in the Great ShakeOut drill earlier this week! We have additional resources to share with you to prepare your home in the event of an earthquake. Be sure to follow these 7 steps to be even more prepared when the next earthquake strikes!
Visit EarthquakeCountry.org/sevensteps to learn more about what you can do to be prepared.
- Step 1: Secure your space by identifying hazards and securing moveable items.
- Step 2: Plan to be safe by creating a disaster plan and deciding how you will communicate in an emergency.
- Step 3: Organize disaster supplies in convenient locations.
- Step 4: Minimize financial hardship by organizing important documents, strengthening your property, and considering insurance.
- Step 5: Drop, Cover and Hold On when the earth shakes.
- Step 6: Improve safety after earthquakes by evacuating in necessary, helping the injured, and preventing further injuries or damage.
- Step 7: Reconnect and Restore daily life by reconnecting with others, repairing damage, and rebuilding community.
Estimadas familias de Da Vinci,
Esperamos que algunos de ustedes hayan tenido la oportunidad de participar en el simulacro Great ShakeOut a principios de esta semana. Tenemos recursos adicionales para compartir con usted para preparar su hogar en caso de un terremoto. ¡Asegúrese de seguir estos 7 pasos para estar aún más preparado cuando ocurra el próximo terremoto!
Visite EarthquakeCountry.org/sevensteps para obtener más información sobre lo que puede hacer para estar preparado.
- Paso 1: Asegure su espacio identificando peligros y asegurando elementos móviles.
- Paso 2: Planee estar seguro creando un plan de desastre y decidiendo cómo se comunicará en caso de emergencia.
- Paso 3: Organice los suministros para desastres en lugares convenientes.
- Paso 4: Minimice las dificultades financieras organizando documentos importantes, fortaleciendo su propiedad y considerando un seguro.
- Paso 5: Agáchese, cúbrase y agárrese cuando la tierra tiemble.
- Paso 6: Mejore la seguridad después de los terremotos evacuando si es necesario, ayudando a los heridos y previniendo más lesiones o daños.
- Paso 7: Reconecte y restaure la vida diaria reconectándose con otros, reparando daños y reconstruyendo la comunidad.