Dear Da Vinci Families,
I wish everyone a good start to summer. I also recognize the challenges that so many in our community are facing. The 2019-20 school year was anything but typical. I am deeply proud of our Da Vinci community of students, families, faculty and staff who have done exceptional work to keep our students engaged, learning and connected during this challenging time.
Today, I am writing to update you about our plans for welcoming students back to our campuses in Fall 2020, informed by guidelines from the L.A. County Department of Public Health, the Los Angeles County Office of Education, the CDC, the California Department of Public Health, and the California Department of Education.
Our school leaders and Central Office team are dedicating themselves to thoughtfully preparing for the reopening of our schools in Fall 2020. Our primary goals are to: (1) keep our students and faculty/staff healthy and safe; (2) bring our community together; and (3) optimize our learning environments to deliver high quality learning experiences within the required health and safety guidelines for school reopening.
Families play an important role in informing our decision-making. Organization-wide and school site surveys have been sent to all families. The org-wide survey received 538 responses and 167 parents/guardians volunteered to provide additional input to our reopening committees.
Given the information that we have at this time, we are preparing for all Da Vinci schools to re-open in mid-August in a hybrid (in-person + remote) format, within the guidelines established by county and state health officials.
We are currently planning for possible hybrid options in which students are divided into cohorts, with some instruction provided on campus, and some instruction provided remote. More details will follow in the next few weeks about potential hybrid schedules after gaining more insight from stakeholders.
We also are planning with flexibility in mind. Current plans for in-person classes in Fall may need to be adjusted or we may need to return to a 100% remote learning program should the L.A. County Department of Public Health direct us to do so. If so, Da Vinci Schools will be ready for any option, whether it is on-campus, a hybrid schedule, or a full-time remote schedule.
A full distance learning option also will be a choice for all Da Vinci students/families who, due to personal circumstances or elevated health risks associated with COVID-19, are unable to return to their school site physically for the Fall.
Planning for Healthy and Safe Campuses
Da Vinci is still developing specific protocols, but all on-campus activities will be conducted under the following health and safety guidance (contingent upon direction from the L.A. County Department of Public Health):
- Staggered start times and assigned entrances to keep students entering in a cohort made up of only their school-specific students and teachers. New drop off and pick up procedures also will keep students from congregating.
- Active and/or passive wellness screening and symptom checking will occur daily for all entering the school. Students with symptoms or fever will not be allowed to enter school.
- No large gatherings or assemblies will be held.
- Minimal use of indoor common space.
- Floor markings indicating 6 feet will be utilized at all Da Vinci facilities. Physical distancing of 6 feet or more required while in buildings/classrooms. Desks will be set up to promote distancing.
- Physical barriers will be installed (plastic/plexiglass barriers) to maintain physical distancing in places that are high-frequency areas such as front offices.
- Students and staff will be required to wear face coverings while at school.
- Increased hand sanitizer stations.
- Increased cleaning, sanitizing and disinfecting.
- Staggered schedules to pick up grab-n-go style meals and go directly outdoors to designated areas with social distancing in place for lunch.
- Other health and safety guidelines that may be directed by state and local health officials.
Supporting our Community
We each have a role to play in keeping our community safe and healthy. Please protect yourself and those you interact with by wearing a face covering, practicing frequent handwashing, and honoring social distancing guidelines.
Thank you for your flexibility, patience and trust as we prepare for the safe reopening of our schools. I truly believe our Da Vinci family will continue to emerge even stronger.