It was a phenomenal first day at our new home! It was awesome to see the students enjoying the beautiful new space and learning in a true 21st century atmosphere.
While the day inside the building was wonderful, we recognize that traffic during drop off and pickup was difficult today and appreciated everyone’s patience, especially this afternoon, as we learn how to best navigate this at our new home. We are working on several possible plans to help relieve the congestion at pickup and drop off times, including meeting with El Segundo police tomorrow to discuss potential options.
Regardless of what measures we take to improve the flow of traffic during drop-off and pick-up, the reality of 1400 students being picked up and dropped off in a short window of time will always be difficult. You can help this situation by:
- dropping off your students earlier in the morning
- picking up your students later in the day
- encouraging your students to use public transportation
- having students walk, ride bikes, skateboards, scooters, etc. to campus
We appreciate your patience and support as we work to provide your students with the best education possible!
Designers, we cannot wait to welcome you into the new building on Wednesday 11/8. Our staff has been working hard since Friday to prepare the space for our students to arrive. It is such a beautiful space, but it doesn’t feel complete without YOU!
All families should have received a mailer at home with crucial information about the new campus and the first few days. You can also find all of this information on the blog if you view previous posts.
A few reminders for Wednesday:
- DVD students should arrive no later than 8:50, ready to find their advisory teacher and head into the building when instructed to do so.
- Students will all gather in the outdoor area behind the building (on the west side of the building) prior to the start of the day. They will eventually find their advisory teacher and then be dismissed by grade level to head into the building with their class.
- Once students get to the Design (4th) floor, they will go to their advisor’s classroom, drop off their things, and get about 10-15 minutes to explore the Design floor (no others at this time).
- After exploring, students will attend advisory from 9:25-9:45 to receive a copy of their schedule with updated room numbers and a map, as well as other pertinent information for the day (stair usage, lunch info, etc.).
- Students will then follow the bell schedule below for the remainder of the day, and will have a similar schedule on Thursday 11/9.
There is NO SCHOOL on Friday 11/10 in observance of the Veteran’s Day holiday.
Also please note, the last day of seminar is Thursday, 11/9 for this semester at DVD.
The following week is EXHIBITION which will take place on Thursday 11/16 from 6-8 pm. We look forward to seeing families and community members there!
Dear Da Vinci Students (and Families):
This is it! We are so excited to see you enter your new high schools in the brand new Wiseburn High School building for the very first time–ever. Wednesday will be a historic day!
Your community has long wanted a world-class campus that better enables you to develop the essential knowledge and real-world skills you’ll need to be prepared to live a happy and successful life. As you well know, COLLABORATION is one of our most essential habits/skills that we believe are critical for you to master. It has been these collaborative skills, along with tens of thousands of thoughtful, effective, gritty and generous acts over many years by countless people, that have made your brand new $160 million, 21st-century school, a reality.
There are still a few items needing to be completed over the coming months in the main Wiseburn building — and the field, gym and aquatics center will complete the campus for the 2018-19 school year.
We can’t wait to see you on Wednesday!
All the best,
Da Vinci Schools