Archive for August 28, 2016
Hello DVD. Thank you for all those who attended Back to School Night on Wednesday evening. We were so glad to see so many new and familiar faces on campus.
11th grade families – please sign up for your family meeting with a counselor – you can find the links per counselor HERE.
9th grade families – please sign up for your family meeting with DVD administration. You can sign up for a date and time HERE.
The Freshman overnight trip is Thursday 9/1 to Friday 9/2. Please make sure to turn in your permission slips! (Freshman overnighter LEADERS will depart on Tuesday 8/30.)
Students, if you have not yet signed up for seminars in advisory this week, please do so. You can find the links to sign-up HERE.
Dear Da Vinci Design Junior Families and Students,
Beginning September 6th, counselors will be holding small family meetings with junior families and students from their caseloads. In these meetings, counselors will discuss:
- Building your college list
- College entrance exams
- Different College systems
- Important dates
- Important college admission requirements
- And much more! Individual questions will also be answered during this time
Families sign-up to meet with your counselor via the provided link:
- Nicole Cabalar: IEP/504/Transfer Students A-Z, Grades 9-12
2. Karen Grace-Baker: Last Names A-K, Grades 9-12
3. Erin Knott: Last Names L-Z, Grades 9-12
Sign-up days and times are first come first served, so sign up early to get a time slot most convenient to you.
Please let us know if you have any questions. Email address are:
1. Nicole: email@example.com
2. Karen: firstname.lastname@example.org
3. Erin: email@example.com
We are looking forward to meeting with you!
Back to School Night – Wednesday 8/24
- We look forward to see you on Wednesday 8/24, 6:00 pm – 8:00 pm
- Please plan to arrive early to allow ample time for parking, and please be respectful of the adjacent neighborhood and park.
- You will report to your students’ advisory period first and receive a copy of their schedule there
- Schedule for the evening is below:
Seminar Sneak Peek
- Seminar sign-ups are this week! Check out some options here: Fall 2016 DVD Seminar Course Descriptions
- More options may be added in the next day or two
- 11th and 12th grade advisories will sign up during Advisory class on WEDNESDAY
- 9th and 10th grade advisories will sign up during Advisory class on THURSDAY
- Seminars begin Tuesday, September 6th
School Site Council
- Students, parents and teachers: Would you like to be part of Da Vinci Design’s School Site Council? If you would like to nominate someone, or nominate yourself, for a seat on the Da Vinci Design School Site Council, we have more open slots this year! The council will meet 4 times a year in the evenings to discuss, vote on, and provide feedback on various school programs and topics. We are looking for parent and student nominees. If you are interested in being nominated for the council or would like to nominate another individual, please send a brief bio as well as the reasons you are interested to Kate Parsons, Principal, at firstname.lastname@example.org by Wednesday, August 31st. Voting for the council will take place via an online survey posted to the blog later that week and new members will be announced once voting has closed.
- 9th graders – you will be receiving permission slips and more detailed information for your freshman overnighter this week!
- We are excited to welcome you into the DVD family on this signature trip!
- Please let your ENGLISH teacher know if you have any questions or concerns.
Torrance Memorial Hospital Internship
Calling all Da Vinci students with an interest in health sciences! You can apply for a volunteer program with Torrance Memorial Hospital – application deadline is August 31st!
- Must be at least 14 years of age and in 9th, 10th, or 11th grade at the time of orientation (no 12th graders)
- Must be able to commit to volunteering for a full one year of service with either a weekly 2 hour assigned shift during the weekdays or a 4 hour assigned shift on alternating weekends in their Escort Services department. View the High School Student Volunteer Program Information Sheet for more information.
1. Complete the PRE-APPLICATION as soon as it is available:
–Pre-Application available: Monday, August 29, 2016 at 10:00am
-Pre-Application due by: Wednesday, August 31, 2016 by 5:00pm
2. Top candidates will be invited to attend a Student-Parent information meeting on:
September 21, 2016 6:00pm-7:00pm or
September 29, 2016 6:00pm to 7:00pm (only one meeting is required)
3. If you are selected, you must be able to attend a Student Orientation on:
October 17 and October 19, 2016 from 5:00pm to 7:30pm (attendance is required both days)
Contact the Volunteer Services Department at Torrance Memorial for more information at 310-517-4752 or email@example.com. If you need help with the application process, please contact Natasha Morse at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Fifth Annual Mars Rover (& Juno!) Updates & LA/OC Societies Expo!
WHEN: Sat, Sept 10, 2016 (from 11am to 5pm)
WHERE: Northrop-Grumman “S-Cafe”, Redondo Beach, CA (just off 405 & Green Line METRO!)
AUDIENCE: Jr High/High School/College Students & Parents & Interested Adults!
1pm-2:30pm: Opening Ceremonies & Short & Local STEM Society Briefings
2:30pm-3pm: BREAK (Visit Tables (with donated Water & Snacks!)” & “Mars Rover Museum”
3pm-4:30pm: Mars Rover & Juno Updates (by returning NASA-JPL Lead Engineer!)
4:30pm-5pm+: Q&A & “Space” Raffle (via Society Donations!)
Designers, thank you for an AMAZING first week. We are so excited to see what this year brings! Your week 2 update and bell schedules are below.
Families – Back to School Night is this Wednesday, 8/24 from 6:00-8:00 pm. Please allow ample time for parking and please be respectful when driving/parking in the surrounding neighborhood. More details for this evening will be sent out early next week.
The first Girls’ Volleyball game is this Tuesday 8/23 at 4:30 pm – come support our DVD Wolves!
Enjoy your weekend.
Hello, DVD Senior Parents!
Please read the email below from our school photographer Stacee Lianna:
It is not too late to mail in your registration and receive a free 8×10 and first access to Senior photo sign-ups. This will apply to all payments postmarked by today, August 19th 2016.
Also, if you’ve tried to pay via PayPal using the information from the flyer that was sent home with report cards in June, there was a typo in my email address. Send your payments to email@example.com and if you’ve already sent a PayPal payment and haven’t heard from me, please send an email and we’ll get it taken care of!
If you have any questions, you can contact me through firstname.lastname@example.org
Designers, what an awesome Day 1! We are so glad to have you all back for the start of the 2016-17 school year and hope you enjoyed your first day of classes.
We want to dedicate a post specifically to traffic and safety, as this is incredibly important to us, and we know it is to many of you as well. Please read this post closely so that we can ensure all students, families and our neighbors arrive to campus and return home safely.
A FEW REMINDERS:
Please drop students off in the designated areas only.
Do not allow students to get out of the driver’s side of the car.
Please have students use the crosswalks at all times.
Do not stop in the cone drop‐off lane so traffic can keep flowing. Do not park in the traffic lane in the staff parking lot (no double parking)
Please be respectful to our traffic and safety employees and volunteers – they are working hard to make sure everyone gets to and from school safe and sound!
We appreciate your understanding and cooperation. Please let us know if you have any questions, or would like to volunteer for a morning or afternoon shift.
We hope that everyone had a wonderful summer with family and friends. We are excited to welcome everyone back for our 2016-17 school year!
First Day Info
School begins this Tuesday, August 16th at 9:00 am. Please plan to arrive at least 15 minutes prior to the start of school to avoid being late on the first day!
Advisories will be changing this year – please reference the signs on the front fence to see who your advisory teacher will be this year before entering campus. You will attend advisory class first. This is also where you will get your schedule and students will see every class on Day 1.
Dress Code Update Reminder
The Da Vinci Design dress code has changed. Please review the attached policy for the school’s most updated dress code information. The most noticeable change is that students are no longer required to wear collars every day. That said, there are still many of the same policies in place and we thank you in advance for working with your students to ensure they meet dress code each day. Please remember that the policy is enforced on Day 1 and if a student is in violation he or she may be asked to change into school-appropriate attire. You can reference it and more details at the following link to a previous blog post: http://dvd.davincischools.org/2016/07/da-vinci-design-dress-code-2016-17/
Traffic & Safety
Please remind your parents and carpool providers to drive safely and adhere to public safety regulations.
All students and guests are required to abide by traffic laws and procedures. You cannot at any time run across the street in front of the school campus.
Students must use the crosswalk and follow the traffic enforcement rules. You will be issued consequences by Admin if rules are not followed. It is for your safety!
Options and Sign-up Links will be available Week 2! Stay tuned!
Here is a day by day calendar for families: DVD 2016-2017 Planning Calendar (for families)
Bell Schedules – First 3 Weeks
Here is the bell schedule for the first 3 weeks of school: First 3 Weeks 16-17
Back to School Night – Wednesday 8/24 at 6 pm
Freshman Overnighter Trip – Thursday 9/1 -Friday 9/2
Fall Sports Offerings
Girls Volleyball and Boys/Girls Cross Country are offered in the fall! Contact Chris Jones for further sports information at email@example.com
We are so excited for Day 1. Enjoy your last few days of summer!